Garrett County Commission for Women
October 2, 2018
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Chair BJ Gallagher at 5:00 pm.
BJ Gallagher, Linda Carr, Kitty Lauer, Sadie Liller, Lisa Thayer Welch, Maureen Myers, Rachel Bruch and Guest Caroline Blizzard.
There was a moment of silence followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: A motion was made by Lisa to approve minutes from August meeting, seconded by Maureen and approved unanimously. Linda also reported that she had send a letter to the Commissioner’s office requesting a check for 2018-2019 fiscal year funding. (Received 10/5)
TREASURER’S REPORT: Linda reported that there was no activity in the checking account for the past two months and the balance was and remains $2,379.61.
- There is ongoing discussion about the Women’s Hall of Fame Plaque located in the Garrett County Courthouse. The current plaque has run out of room and we need to replace with something larger. Lisa will measure and contact Southern High School to see if their Vo-Tech class make a new plaque for us. It was decided to go with one nameplate per year but to make them larger so names are more legible. Lisa will also get us a price on that
- The Commission hopes to establish a Women of Tomorrow Award to be awarded at the Hall of Fame runch. Lisa had emailed information compiled form other Board’s criteria with similar awards. It was decided that we would offer one award per year and seek nominations from local school guidance counselors, teachers and principals as well as reaching out to home school students. The suggested age range would be 9th through 12th grade. Winners would receive a Letter from the County Commissioners and perhaps a $200 donation to a non-profit of their choice. Lisa will write up a proposal and submit to members for review.
- BJ gave an update for the Fall Event planned for Saturday, October 27th and passed out an agenda and flyers to be posted in the area. We will be screening the documentary Heroin(e) about the effects of opioid addiction on Huntington, WV and the story of three women on the front lines of the battle. We will be hosting two of the film participants, Jan Rader and Judge Patricia Keller to be available for questions, etc. The day will also include a continental breakfast, listening session to identify issues important to women in the area, and lunch. Cost is $10 per person and is available on EventBrite. Volunteers are needed the day of, and BJ asked that Commission members show up at 8 AM to help. The committee will meet one more time to finalize plans.
- BJ sent out a newly designed brochure by Cheryl to each of the Commission members and asked for feedback to Cheryl. These should be ready to pass out by the day of our Fall Event.
- BJ asked if we should set a date for another Strategic Planning Session this fall or winter to set new goals. It was discussed and decided to hold off until after the listening session to see what goals, initiatives come out of that we might want to pursue.
Hall of Fame – BJ contacted Wisp about hosting our Hall of Fame Brunch but costs were significantly higher. With no other venue available at capacity needed (125), BJ will discuss again with Wisp all of our options (smaller room, yurt) and try to negotiate a better price.
Scholarship – No report.
Legislative – Linda announced that the MLAW Fall Conference is slated for November 17th at the Notre Dame of Maryland University from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Cost is $45, $50 after November 1st. Linda will forward email with details to all commission members.
PR/Website – No report.
Membership – Still need a chair of this committee. We only have 11 of 15 slots filled so still looking for nominations of potential members.
Historian – Kitty reported that she still had not received copies of programs, press releases, etc from other commission members.
By-Laws – No report.
Community Service – No report
- BJ asked if we wanted to continue meeting in GC Board Conference room. She needs to fill out an application for 2019 if so. We decided it was the most convenient place to meet so BJ will move forward with that.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:24 pm. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 4th, from 5 to 6:30 pm.