Garrett County Commission for Women
February 5, 2019
IN ATTENDANCE (via online conference call):
BJ Gallagher, Linda Carr, Maureen Myers, Rachel Bruch, Rose Gordy, Caroline Blizzard.
There was not a quorum so regular business could not be conducted.
The minutes from the prior meeting were presented and read over.
Treasurer Linda Carr informed the group that after expenditures of $50 to BJ Gallagher for reimbursements for Heroin(e) presentation, and $500 in donations in honor of the speakers for that event: $250 to Lily’s Place in Huntington, WV in honor of Jan Rader, and $250 to GC Foundation for the “I Can Swim” program in honor of Judge Patricia Keller, there was a balance of $5,320.42 in the account.
Items for Discussion:
- BJ shared a letter from Lisa Thayer Welch regarding scholarships. Applications are now available online and press releases have been created and being sent to various news media in the area. Lisa has also created a document and application for the “Woman of Tomorrow” award.
- A letter with our funding request is due to the commissioner’s office by mid-February. It was decided to just ask for the same amount as the previous year so we did not have to have a vote to increase the amount.
- The Hall of Fame Luncheon is scheduled for May 4, 2019 at Dutch’s at Silver Tree. Cost has risen to $15 per person; cost for attending will remain at $25 in advance, $30 at the door. BJ will set up EventBrite fund for ticket purchases. Cheryl DeBerry has agreed to be emcee for the event. BJ has asked for help evaluating nominations for Hall of Fame and scholarships. If you know of anyone that would be interested, please let her know.
- BJ reported that her presentation to the County Commissioners at their December meeting went really well. They were pleased to get the statistics she shared and were very attentive.
- Phyllis Trickett has been elected to the Maryland Women’s Hall of Fame, an incredible honor. The event is to take place in Annapolis on Thursday, March 21st. The women who nominated her (Judy Carbone and Sue Athey-Oxford) are unable to attend and have asked that somebody from our commission go to represent Garrett County. Linda will send out info and invitation.
- Caroline informed the group that the Discovery Center was holding a STEM event in mid-March celebrating women in those fields but also wanting to expand it by talking about an important woman each day in the month of March (Womens History Month) on their Facebook page. She asked if this was something she could do jointly through the Commission of Women. It was agreed that she would contact Cheryl DeBerry so she could share that info on GCCW’s Facebook page as well.
There were no committee reports.
The call ended at 5:48 PM. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 2nd, from 5 to 6:30 pm in Room 102 at the GIEC building (new location)
Linda Carr for Sherry Fredlock