The October 1, 2019 meeting of the Garrett County Commission for Women was called to order at 5:05 P.M. by Chair Lisa Thayer Welch. Also present were Erin-Ruth Natividad, Linda Carr, Sadie Liller, Cheryl Deberry, and Pam Trickett.
The Pledge of Allegiance followed.
Secretary’s Report: No report other than the presentation of Minutes from the August 6, 2019 Minutes as prepared by Lisa Thayer Welch.
Treasurer’s Report: Linda Carr reported a beginning balance of $2,232.20. The County Commissioner approved funding for FY 2020 was received and deposited. The annual MLAW Membership payment in the amount of $75.00 was made. The account balance is $6,157.20.
1. Hall of Fame Plaque- Lisa Welch identified the previous Hall of Fame plaque is running out of space. Current question is to see if one of the schools or a local artesian could affordably get this project done for the Commission. An official decision will be made at the next meeting regarding whether or not groups of 3 or individuals, and therefore then determine how big of a plaque would be needed for the project. Lisa Welch suggested taking the previous plaque and using it for the Woman of Tomorrow Plaque.
2. Commissioner appointment (Erin-Ruth Natividad) and re-appointments (Kristal Huber and Maureen Sheaffer)
1. Hall of Fame- Cheryl Deberry identified the Save the Date graphic was made Facebook and will be put on Website for the Hall of Fame location date and time has been confirmed of May 2, 2020. Volunteers are being sought to participate. Press release will be submitted by the end of the month, and in will begin developing the budget in December. Nominations for inductees will be due by February 15, 2020.
2. Scholarship- No Report was given
3. Legislation- Linda Carr identified the MLAW Looking Back, Moving Forward Event slated for Saturday. November 23, 2019 in Brooklyn Park Maryland. In addition to hearing from Speaker Adrienne A. Jones, the conference will also include the presentation of the legislative proposals for the 2020 legislative session.
4. Public Relations- Cheryl Deberry confirmed last year’s Hall of Fame pictures had been added to the Facebook page. Most Beautiful Person Beverly Beard information will be added since she is a former Commission member and HOF member. A Congratulatory letter will also be sent on behalf of the Commission. Domestic Violence Awareness Month will also be acknowledged on the Facebook Page.
5. Membership- Rachel Bruch was not in attendance
6. Historian- Rose Gordy was not in attendance
7. By-Laws- Maureen Sheaffer was not in attendance
8. Community Service- Linda Carr is looking for volunteers for GEMS and speakers and relatable topics for the middle and high school levels. She requested that anyone who is able to speak on a relatable topic reach out to her.
1. Election Of Secretary- Erin-Ruth Natividad identified she would be willing to serve in this capacity; however, the vote was tabled to next meeting due to lack of quorum.
2. Bank Account Signatory- Linda Carr made a request that another commission member be made a signatory on the account at BB&T as Sherri Fredlock is no longer is in membership. Voting will be done at the next meeting
3. Lisa Welch identified an update of our strategic plan needed. Next month’s agenda to identify a date and time to update our strategic planning priorities.
4. Pam Trickett to submit a resume to a Commission for Membership voting.
5. It was identified it would be great to get one of the local women school principals in GCCW membership. Erin-Ruth Natividad identified she would reach out to Dr. Nicole Miller, principal of Southern Garrett High School.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:14 P.M. The next meeting is Tuesday, December 3, 2019 from 5 to 6:30 P.M.
Submitted by, Erin-Ruth Natividad