Garrett County Commission for Women Scholarship Recipients Spring 2017
Amber Sines, Jacquelyn Rodeheaver, Khristyn Towles, Lindsay Crawford, & Teresa Bittinger
2018 Scholarship Application (pdf fillable form)
Guidelines for Scholarship Applicants
Purpose of the scholarship
The Commission for Women established this scholarship to help a woman resident of Garrett County complete her educational requirements leading to a degree or certificate beyond the high school level. The scholarship may be used to attend academic or career oriented programs at a community college, a four-year institution, or for graduate school, or for technical training leading to a certificate. It is open to all majors.
Who is eligible for this scholarship?
To be eligible, the woman must:
- Be a resident of Garrett County for at least 5 years
- Be at least 20 years of age
- Be at least two years past her high school graduation or GED
- She may be already enrolled in a college or technical program or be applying for entrance into such a program
- She must be able to demonstrate financial need
- Previous applicants and recipients are welcome to apply, but the scholarship will not be awarded to the same person two years in a row.
How much is the scholarship?
The GCCW will be offering five (5) $500 scholarships. The scholarship for the Summer/Fall semester of 2018 is for $500. The Scholarships will be awarded at the Hall of Fame Breakfast on Saturday, April 7, 2018 at Dutch's Silvertree.
How is the scholarship recipient chosen?
The Commission for Women will establish a Selection Committee which will rank the applicants in the following categories:
- An official transcript of her last semester from the program she is currently attending and/or a letter of acceptance from the program she wishes to attend;
- A completed Commission for Women Scholarship Application Form;
- A letter of reference from a faculty member who knows her work well; or a letter of reference from a community member well versed in the applicant’s plans and prospects.
- Missing or incomplete data, particularly with regard to financial need, will count against the applicant.
What are the responsibilities of the scholarship recipient?
She must attend the program for which she has made her scholarship request in the Summer/Fall 2018 semester and complete her work in that program with a B or better average. She must also be willing to be photographed and have her story used locally for publicity purposes. At the end of the semester, she will send the Commission for Women a report on her work.
What is the deadline and to whom is the application sent?
The scholarship form is available in paper format at the Garrett County Public Libraries or the Garrett College Financial Aid office, and on line at the Commission for Women website here.
Completed application packets are due by March 1, 2018 to:
Board of County Commissioners
Attn: GCCW Scholarship
203 South Fourth Street, Room 207
Oakland, MD 21550
Questions? For more information, you may contact Lisa Thayer Welch at firstname.lastname@example.org